Friday, May 09, 2008

A Happy Mother's Day Indeed

Ladies. Friends. Mothers and mothers to be.

It is that time of the year again.

Time to celebrate the tireless journey that is motherhood. Time to honor the sacrifices of our predecessors and to be acknowledged by our own broods for the efforts we, ourselves, make on a daily basis.

Many of us will be recognized with small presents, tokens of appreciation. I share with you, my own collection of such gifts.



The macaroni necklace, a gift from Grace last year.



Accompanying the necklace, a lovely handwritten card.


Last year, Jake wrote that I am most beautiful when I am pregnant. So sweet. And good, since I still look like I am at 7 months gestation.



This year, Jake made stationery for me. The cards read, "Thank you for being my mom! And you're like a chef!" So I can basically use these to write to ... my mom? Oh, but the chef part. Nevermind.


But my favorite gift of all time, came from my husband. It must be difficult to conjure up a gift that symbolizes the adoration and gratitude that a man must have for the woman who bore him three beautiful children. The woman who cleans the same messes over and over and over like a scary rendition of Groundhog Day. The woman who prepares meals, cleans dishes, does the laundry, changes diapers, and greets him at he end of the day with a warm smile and a cheerful "Welcome home honey!" (Or, at least, a "Hey.")


Matt, however, has a gift of bestowing memorable gifts, and he did not fail last Mother's Day. Oh no. In fact, I still shed tears every time I use this gift.


I shed tears, friends, because ... it chops onions.



The Vidalia Chopper. Seen on infomericals around the country, this puppy chops onions, tomatoes and celery faster than you can say, "What about Burke Williams?" You haven't made salsa, until you've chopped your goods with the Vidalia. Try to stifle your envy, girls. Maybe this year will be your lucky year.


*Written with complete permission from my adoring husband, who is still yelling from the couch, "You said you wanted one! " And that's okay, because he did grant me my life's wish, and that is, quite plainly ...



to be a mommy.



5 comments:

Christie's Mom said...

Oh, but the chef part. Nevermind. I believe you are becoming blog-busive. I am going to call Gloria Allred.

And on Mother's Day Weekend.....sheesh.

Christie's Mom said...

BTW...I want you to send me that picture of the kids - that is a super cute one!

Anonymous said...

I got a great present (really!) - an ice machine like the one they gave Paul when he had knee surgery (with the hose and the compression wrap). Already getting a lot of use! Now THAT is an awesome present!

This may be one of my best Mother's Days yet - we may not be able to get together with the boys for a brunch, but that is because they are busy and happy, and running their own lives - which was, of course, our goal as parents.

But we are not so stupid that we do not understand that this may be transitory and that, even as adults, they will need parental wisdom and advice (not lodging or money . . . ) as the years go by . . .

Anybody who do not know who Giada is is . . . old . . .

Happy Mother's Day to all those Moms out there!

Tonya said...

Wow! You have been a busy blogger. I have just gotten caught up and my stomach hurts from laughing so hard. You are hilarious. Happy Mother's Day!

Unknown said...

I can hardly contain my jealousy... ; )

Seriously, you have a gorgeous family and Happy belated Mother's Day!