Sunday, May 11, 2008

Examining Cultural Literacy in Our Home

Matt: "Hey, do we have any movies?"

Me: "Yeah. We have 'Becoming Jane'."

"What's it about?"

"It's about the life of Jane Austen."

"Oh. ... That workout lady?"

"What?"

"That lady who does the workouts on tv ... ?"

"Denise Austin??? You think they made a movie about Denise Austin?"

"I don't know. Maybe she used to be heavy, but she worked really hard ... "

- Long stare - "No. Jane Austen is a famous author. She wrote Pride and Prejudice."

- crickets chirping-

(We did not watch the movie.)

5 comments:

Alicia said...

This sounds exactly like a conversation Shane and I might have.

Sarah Starr said...

The movie is LAME! I saw it at the movies with Dorsey and Anderson, we were laughing so hard (church giggles). There was maybe 6 other people in the theater and this women sat behind us (after we got there) and leaned forward and said " you guys are totally ruining the movie." Sorry to tell her but the movie had no hope!

Alicia said...

Sarah is right...very lame and unromantic flick. BTW when I was told Shane about this post and what Matt said, he said (and I quote), "That sounds like something I would say." I rest my case.

Jen said...

Well I give him props for knowing who Denise Austin was....I don't think J would know that.

P.S. One time we were waiting to be seated at RUBY's in RSM and Denise Austin was totally sitting next to us waiting to stuff her face too! The irony of it all.....

When we recognized her she made some comment about how she always says, "you can eat anything you want as long as you work it off"

My mom and I just smiled and rolled our eyes behind her back and proceeded to call her bad names in Spanish. Then we said 10 Hail Mary's and ordered a shake and some yummy fries with our grease pit burgers!

Tonya said...

That is so funny. You didn't miss much, it is not a great movie.